Harter Secrest & Emery is a full-service law firm founded in 1894, with offices in Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Corning, and New York City. With over 125 lawyers, we offer the depth and breadth of legal talent and experience necessary to achieve exceptional results for our local, regional, and national clients.
Unlike most law firms, our attorneys do not receive attribution credit or compensation based on staffing or individually generated revenues. This means at a moment’s notice we can assemble the most appropriately experienced and cost-effective team to respond to clients’ needs quickly. With no internal structural barriers (i.e., competition for work), we are never distracted from our sole focus on the needs of our clients.
Our philosophy fosters a multidisciplinary mindset when providing legal services. We consider our clients’ opportunities and challenges by first understanding what they need, and then figuring out the most efficient path. Our clients work with the right lawyer, or team of lawyers, for each specific project or issue and we never “over lawyer” when a simple and practical solution is within reach.
Our team-oriented culture naturally attracts and retains exceptional lawyers who are driven to serve clients, who pride themselves on responsiveness, and who have a solid understanding of the complex legal issues our clients face. Whether it’s day-to-day counsel or high-stakes matters, we offer the sophistication and scope of a large firm practice, with the efficiency and accessibility of a small firm environment. We are proud to represent a wide range of clients from sole proprietorships to companies with more than 50,000 employees.
Areas of Experience
- Corporate and Transactional
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Environmental, Land Use and Zoning
- Government Affairs
- Government and Internal Investigations
- Health Care and Human Services
- Higher Education
- Intellectual Property
- Labor and Employment
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Privacy and Data Security
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Real Estate
- Securities and Capital Markets
- Trusts and Estates
- Market-leading 22 attorneys with individual rankings in Chambers USA 2019 America’s Leading Lawyers in Business, including:
- Highest possible group rankings for Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions, Labor & Employment, Litigation, and Real Estate practices
- Statewide ranking for Immigration
- The most U.S. News - Best Lawyers® 2020 “Best Law Firms” top-tier rankings in Western New York, including:
- National ranking for our Corporate and Land Use & Zoning Law practice areas
- Forty-six attorneys selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- Thirty-five attorneys selected for inclusion in the 2019 Upstate New York Super Lawyers list and twenty selected for recognition as 2019 Upstate New York Rising Stars
- Winner of the 2017 Western New York Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York Diversity Award
For a complete listing of our awards and recognitions, please click here.