Current Lateral Opportunities
Thank you for your interest.
We strive to hire lawyers who have the potential to become owners of our firm. We look for attorneys who have integrity, intellect, enthusiasm, and a demonstrated work ethic. We value those who are willing to take initiative, assume responsibility and work well with others. While we regularly hire new lawyers through our summer program, opportunities exist for third year law students and lateral attorneys as well. We encourage all to apply.
- Securities and Capital Markets Attorney: HSE is seeking a securities and capital markets attorney, associate or counsel level, with 2-10 years of experience for the firm’s Rochester or Buffalo office. Experience representing issuers and investment banks in public and private offerings of securities, advising publicly traded companies on compliance with the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, exchange listing standards and corporate governance required. Candidates must have relevant prior law firm experience, ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, strong work ethic and excellent oral and written communication skills. Enthusiasm for client service and initiative are essential. Click here to learn more.
- Immigration Attorney: HSE is seeking an attorney to join our national business immigration practice in any of the firm’s Rochester or Buffalo office. Broad experience in employment-based cases including labor certifications, EB-1 petitions, nonimmigrant visas petitions and J-1 waiver applications preferred. Candidates with 1-5 years’ experience will be considered. Excellent writing, client service and case management ability required. Enthusiasm for client service and initiative are essential.
- Government & Internal Investigations Attorney: HSE is seeking an attorney to join the Government & Internal Investigations Group in either the firm’s Buffalo or Rochester, NY office. Qualified candidates should have 5 or more years’ experience handling civil, regulatory, criminal, or internal investigations at the federal or state level. Investigative experience may include internal investigations, white collar criminal defense, SEC defense, or False Claims Act litigation.
- Non-Profit/Corporate Attorney: HSE is looking for an attorney to join the firm in its health care, higher education, and human services practice group. This is a multi-disciplinary group including attorneys specializing in non-profit organizations, general corporate matters, taxation, health care, and higher education. Our ideal candidate will be focused in the non-profit organizations area, with general corporate, commercial, and tax experience. Experience or specialization in the health care areas covered by the health care attorneys in the practice group is beneficial, but not required. The ideal candidate will have at least three to seven years’ of experience with the following:
- Non-profit formation, regulation and compliance;
- General corporate matters;
- General contractual matters;
- Taxation, particularly taxation of non-profit organizations;
- General transactional experience (mergers, acquisitions, and affiliations); and
- Regulatory, corporate and governance issues relating to health care organizations
Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as a strong academic background. Enthusiasm for client service and business development is essential.
- Trust and Estates Attorney: HSE is seeking a trust and estates attorney to work in the Rochester or Buffalo office. Remote work situations will also be considered. Ideal candidates will have at least 3-7 years of trusts and estates experience in a law firm setting. Qualified candidates must have excellent writing skills, the ability to work independently, and possess a strong, positive presence and advocacy ability. Enthusiasm for client service, teamwork, and initiative are essential, as is a strong interest in partnership opportunities.
- Commercial and Intellectual Property Attorney: HSE is seeking a trial attorney to join the Rochester office. The ideal candidate will have 3-6 years of sophisticated Commercial and/or Intellectual Property litigation experience in a law firm setting. Requirements include: drafting pleadings, drafting and arguing motions, drafting and responding to discovery, handling document production, taking depositions, and contributing to overall case strategy development. Qualified candidates must have excellent writing and oral advocacy skills, a strong ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and an enthusiastic, collaborative, and dedicated approach to client service.
- Patent Attorney: HSE is seeking a patent attorney or patent agent with 3+ years patent prosecution experience to join the firm’s Rochester or Buffalo office. Background in optics, physics, electrical or mechanical engineering desired. Excellent analytical, writing, communication, and client service skills required.
- Corporate Attorney: HSE is seeking a corporate attorney with at least 4-6 years of significant transactional experience for the firm’s Rochester office. The ideal candidate will have meaningful experience in mergers and acquisitions in general corporate matters. Experience with private equity/venture capital a plus. Candidates must have excellent drafting and negotiation skills and a strong academic background.
- Environmental, Land Use, and Energy Attorney: HSE is seeking an attorney with 5+ years’ experience for a partnership-track senior associate or counsel position in the Upstate New York region. Qualified candidates must have broad environmental law experience (including environmental due diligence on transactions, environmental litigation, regulatory compliance and permitting, and cleanup projects), plus significant experience with land use, SEQRA, zoning, and municipal law matters. Candidates that have experience with the environmental and land use aspects of energy projects, and renewable energy projects in particular, are preferred. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills. Enthusiasm for client service, teamwork, and initiative are essential, as is a strong interest in partnership opportunities.
- Employee Benefits Attorney: HSE is seeking an Employee Benefits attorney for the firm’s Rochester, Buffalo or Albany office. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills and a strong academic background. Enthusiasm for client service and initiative are essential.
- Executive Compensation Attorney: HSE is seeking an attorney with 1-5 years’ experience for the firm’s Rochester office. The qualified candidate will preferably have experience with the following aspects of an executive compensation practice: equity plans for private and public companies, executive employment agreements, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, proxy statements, and executive compensation provisions of the Internal Revenue Code (83, 162(m), 280G and 409A). The firm will consider candidates with tax, employee benefits or executive compensation experience. Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills and a strong academic background. Enthusiasm for client service and initiative are essential.
Applicants should submit their materials via our online application.
Harter Secrest & Emery LLP will reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities throughout the employment selection process. If you believe you need an accommodation during the selection process, please contact Cristy Gordon, our Legal Recruiter, at email@example.com to make a request.
Harter Secrest & Emery LLP is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.