Brian Shaw’s expertise is in matters relating to patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. He prepares and prosecutes patent applications, prepares patentability opinions, patent infringement opinions, and counsels on and prepares licensing and technology transfer agreements. Brian’s experience includes:
- A diversified practice including computer law; mechanical intellectual property, including sealing technologies, heat transfer, photocopying, and sheet-cutting technologies; biomedical technology including immunoassay evanescent wave guide technology and blood-flow sensing and measuring; new media law and international intellectual property.
- Identifying and clearing products through infringement and design-around issues.
- Negotiating proprietary technology transfers for the commercialization of technology, including transfers between institutes of higher education and faculty, as well as institutes of higher education and startups.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Past President, Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Monroe County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, International Trademark Association
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named as Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Rochester, NY for Litigation – Patent (2021) and Litigation – Patent (2019)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Copyright Law; Litigation – Intellectual Property; Litigation – Patent; Patent Law
- Named to The Daily Record’s Power 20 in Intellectual Property list, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Selected to the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, 2011-2019
- Recipient, Donald Warren McCrosky Award for scholarly achievement in Mechanical Engineering, Yale University