Leslie DesMarteau is an employee benefits and executive compensation attorney experienced in dealing with a variety of issues for both for-profit and tax-exempt clients, including:
- Advising clients regarding benefit plan design, amendment and administration in connection with tax-qualified 401(k), 403(b), and other defined contribution plans and defined benefit plans and welfare plans, and preparing plan documents.
- Preparing and submitting applications to the IRS for determination of qualified plan status for both ongoing and terminating retirement plans.
- Assisting clients in complying with ERISA reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Analyzing and negotiating pension plan investments in private equity funds and other alternative investments.
- Advising clients regarding employee benefits issues involved in mergers and acquisitions.
- Analyzing multiemployer plan tax-qualification and other regulatory issues, including withdrawal liability.
- Assisting clients with issues presented by qualified retirement plan investment in employer stock.
- Advising clients regarding compliance with prohibited-transaction rules and other matters implicating ERISA fiduciary duties.
- Representing clients in connection with a range of ERISA claims and legal proceedings, including retirement benefit claims, breach of fiduciary claims, government audits and government self-correction programs.
- Advising clients regarding benefits governance issues.
- Assisting clients in the design and implementation of pension de-risking strategies.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Treasurer, Archaeological Institute of America, Rochester Chapter
HONORS & AWARDS
- Tufts University
- Phi Beta Kappa
- William Frank Wyatt Prize
- Golden Key National Honor Society