Mark Wilson advises a wide array of businesses and not-for-profit organizations with respect to employee benefits and executive compensation matters, including designing and drafting employee benefit programs and related administrative forms. The primary focus of his practice is advising national corporations with complex employee benefit programs. As lead of the Firm’s Retirement team, Mark’s experience includes:
- Analyzing and advising clients regarding technical, operational, and compliance issues involving 401(k), 403(b), defined benefit, ESOP, and other qualified retirement plans, as well as 125 cafeteria plans, flexible spending arrangements, and all types of health and welfare benefit plans.
- Drafting plan documents and advising clients with respect to executive compensation issues, including nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements, 457 plans, excess benefit plans, top-hat plans, and related compensation programs for key groups of employees.
- Advising clients with respect to employee benefit issues in the context of corporate mergers and acquisitions.
- Consulting with and representing clients before the IRS, Department of Labor, and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and the New York State Department of Health concerning employee benefit issues, qualified plan audits, and related inquiries.
- Preparing and submitting retirement plans to the IRS for termination and for determination of tax-qualified status.
- Advising clients regarding prohibited transaction rules, IRA investment restrictions, and IRS remedial programs, including the EPCRS and VFC.
- Assisting clients in ERISA litigation issues, including ESOP litigation.
- Advising clients regarding fiduciary responsibility issues.
- Advising clients and presenting continuing legal education programs regarding congressional developments affecting employee benefit matters, including changes enacted by recent legislation.
- Advising clients regarding benefits governance issues.
- Assisting clients in the design and implementation of pension de-risking strategies.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named as Best Lawyers® 2022 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Rochester, NY
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Selected to the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, 2007-2008, 2012
- Recipient, “Forty Under 40” Award, Rochester Business Journal, 2002