Peter Abdella maintains a general litigation practice with an emphasis on commercial and construction law. He also assists firm clients with problems concerning corporate governance, securities law, private and public mechanics’ liens, and commercial landlord-tenant rights and remedies. His experience includes the following:
- Construction litigation including defense of design professionals; representation of architects, engineers, owners and contractors in construction-related disputes, and lien foreclosure actions representing design professionals, contractors and owners.
- Representation of owners, architects and engineers in contract negotiations and fee disputes.
- Counsel and advice to private higher education institutions, school districts, and public boards regarding construction project issues.
- FINRA securities arbitrations representing broker/dealers and registered representatives in both customer and industry disputes, as well as claimant representation.
- Representation of shareholders and companies in Securities Act claims, derivative actions, and business disputes.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- General Counsel, Harter Secrest & Emery LLP
- Member, Attorney Grievance Committee for the Seventh Judicial District, Fourth Department, State of New York
- Member and Legal Counsel, Monroe County Republican Committee
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Monroe County Bar Association
- Member, Advisory Board, Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School
- Chancellor and General Counsel, Upper New York Conference of The United Methodist Church
- Member, Board of Trustees, Foundation of the Monroe County Bar Association
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recognized by Chambers USA from 2015-2022 in the field of Litigation: General Commercial (Upstate NY)
- Named as Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Rochester, NY for Litigation – Real Estate (2022), Litigation – Construction (2013), and Construction Law (2012)
- Named by The Daily Record as one of Rochester’s Attorneys of the Year, 2015
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Appellate Practice; Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Construction Law; Corporate Governance Law; Litigation – Construction; Litigation – Real Estate; Litigation – Trusts and Estates; Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected to the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, 2007-2022