Phil Fileri provides general counsel and business planning advice to businesses, health care clients, and cooperatives. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to the needs of health care providers in the areas of physician practice, joint ventures, and fraud and abuse matters. He is experienced in all forms of physician business, contract, and planning matters. Phil also provides business and tax advice to a variety of businesses and agricultural cooperatives. Additionally, he has served as counsel to professional sports organizations such as AAA baseball franchises. His experience includes the following:
- Representing physician practices in medical school spin-outs, mergers, sales to and physician service agreements with Universities and hospital systems, ACO formation and participation, and organizing professional limited liability companies, and structuring compensation arrangements.
- Representing physician groups in establishing various labs, negotiating with third-party payers, and addressing employment, HIPAA, OPMC, OMIG and government investigation matters, as well as advising individual physicians on employment and buy-sell contracts.
- Representing physicians and health care institutions entering into realty and equipment leases, purchasing medical office space, and electronic health record matters.
- Representing sports entities in operations, stadium leases, abandoned property, financial offerings, and league matters.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Chancellor, Episcopal Diocese of Rochester and Province II of The Episcopal Church
- Director, Rochester Community Baseball Inc. a/k/a Rochester Red Wings
- Member, Roberts Wesleyan College Executive Advisory Board
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, Legal, Tax and Accounting Section
- Former Director and Chair, Episcopal Senior Life Communities
- Former Director and Chair, Episcopal Church Home Foundation Board
- Former Trustee and Treasurer, Allendale Columbia School
- Former Chair, Medical Liaison Committee, Monroe County Bar Association
- Former Secretary, Genesee Reserve Supply, Inc.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Inductee, North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, May 2022
- 2016 Board of Directors Award, The Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates, Inc.
- Named as Best Lawyers® 2016 Health Care Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Rochester, NY
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Health Care Law
- Selected to the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, 2007-2016
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Commendation by the Episcopal Diocese of Rochester for services as Chancellor of the Diocese