Tom Hurley is an employee benefits and executive compensation lawyer with a broad range of employee benefits experience. As lead of the Firm’s Health and Welfare team, Tom’s experience includes:
- Preparation of plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and other benefit communications.
- Advising clients with respect to plan administration, benefit aspects of corporate transactions, and benefit litigation.
- Design and implementation of welfare benefit plans including flexible benefit plans, self-insured health plans, and health savings accounts.
- Advising clients with respect to the implementation and administration of such plans, including the negotiation of administrative service agreements, compliance with the requirements of COBRA and HIPAA, and subrogation and reimbursement matters.
- Advising clients with respect to Medicare Part D retiree drug subsidy opportunities and obligations.
- Advising clients regarding IRS remedial correction programs.
- Advising clients regarding retiree health plan strategy.
- Advising clients regarding benefits governance issues.
Previously, Tom served as Senior Counsel, Employee Benefits of TRW Inc.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Erie County Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Boys and Girls Clubs of Buffalo
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named as Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year” in Buffalo, NY for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2023), (2020), (2018), (2017), and (2015)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Selected to the Upstate New York Super Lawyers list, 2007-2023
- Legal Elite of Western New York, Buffalo Business First/Buffalo Law Journal, 2016 and 2019
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Who’s Who in Law, Business First of Buffalo/Buffalo Law Journal, 2010, 2011 and 2012