Tom Tuori has more than thirty years of experience in the environmental field, including sixteen years as an environmental consultant and project manager before obtaining his law degree. His diverse background has helped shape Tom’s problem-solving and practical approach when handling complex environmental legal matters.
He builds lasting relationships with clients using his unique perspective as an attorney with real-world technical knowledge, his strategic legal advice and a reassuring, consultative style.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Independent Oil & Gas Association of New York
- Member, Town of Brighton Monroe Avenue Green Infrastructure Grant Project Committee
- Former Member, City of Rochester Environmental Commission
- Former City of Rochester Representative, Monroe County Environmental Management Council
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recognized by Chambers USA in 2022 in the field of Environment (Upstate NY)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® for Environmental Law
- Recipient, John N. Bennett Achievement Award for the highest scholastic achievement in the 2007 graduating class, SUNY Buffalo Law School
- Recipient, 1st place in the 2005 Environmental Law Essay Contest, New York State Bar Association
The following summaries illustrate Tom’s experience as an environmental attorney:
- Counseled clients regarding the environmental risks associated with business, real estate, and financing transactions (ranging from $1B+ corporate deals to small commercial real estate deals) and developed practical strategies for addressing such risks.
- Counseled clients regarding the New York State Brownfields Cleanup Program (BCP) and assisted clients with the successful completion of BCP requirements.
- Counseled clients regarding liabilities and cleanup obligations associated with contaminated properties, negotiated with involved regulatory agencies and other responsible parties, and developed and implemented cost recovery strategies.
- Counseled clients regarding environmental permitting and regulatory compliance issues involving air emissions, hazardous waste, solid waste, recycling, underground storage tanks, wastewater and storm water discharges, wetlands, and Occupational Health and Safety Administration requirements, developed practical strategies for resolving the issues, and, when necessary, negotiated with involved regulatory agencies.
- Counseled clients regarding the environmental permitting, zoning, and State Environmental Quality Review Act requirements associated with their projects and developed practical strategies for moving their projects forward.
The following summaries illustrate Tom’s experience as an environmental consultant and project manager:
- Managed CERCLA cost recovery projects for several Fortune 100 clients that involved assessing and prioritizing the potential claims, preparing cost recovery documentation, participating in settlement negotiations with the USDOJ, and supervising project teams.
- Managed a multi-year environmental permit transfer project that involved transferring hundreds of permits for domestic and international facilities.
- Managed and conducted Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments, remedial investigations, industrial hygiene investigations, ISO 14001 environmental management systems audits, and wetland delineations.
- Drafted environmental impact statements.