Types of Information Collected
Personal Information collected from you. The types of personal information we collect from you when you visit the Site may include, among other things, contact information including your name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
Automatically collected information while visiting our Site. We, or our third-party service providers, may use a variety of technology to automatically collect information about you or your activities on our Site (“Browsing Information”). This includes your:
- Date and time of visit;
- IP address;
- Operating system;
- Web browser; and
- Browsing patterns, including the address of the website from which you came.
How We Collect Your Information
In the course of operating our business, we may collect Personal Information about you from the following sources:
- information we receive from you, or on your behalf, through forms you complete, at events such as conferences or seminars, or if you contact us;
- the correspondence, including e-mail, you and others send to us;
- information we receive from your computer or mobile device; and
- information we receive from other sources.
When you visit the Site, we collect Browsing Information from you as follows:
Web Analytics: We may also utilize third party tracking software or utilities, such as Google Analytics. This helps us analyze data and improve our Site, as well as tailor it to user needs. For more information about Google Analytics, visit:
How We Use Your Information
We may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- evaluating whether to engage in an attorney-client relationship with you, or to determine whether an attorney-client relationship exists with you;
- providing you with legal services, if you are a client of the Firm;
- providing you information about events, services, or publications that may interest you;
- responding to any inquiries from you;
- communicating with you regarding our services;
- complying with any applicable laws and regulations and responding to lawful requests; and
- any other purposes allowed by law.
Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may disclose Personal Information as authorized by law, including to third-party service providers who provide services to the Firm. We use third party service providers, and share Personal Information with them, (i) to communicate with you, others, or with our clients; (ii) to analyze information we receive through the Site; (iii) in relation to data processing services provided to the Firm; (iv) for marketing purposes; and (v) in relation to other professional services we may obtain, such as legal, accounting, or information security services.
Disclosure of client information is further governed by the engagement agreements with our clients and the relevant ethical rules governing the practice of law by Firm attorneys.
Links to Other Websites
We engage in reasonable efforts to protect the confidentiality, integrity, availability and security of Personal Information that we process. These include appropriate technical and organizational measures, as well as administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, to protect Personal Information as required by law. However, because information transferred over the Internet is not absolutely secure, we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
If You Are Located Outside of the United States
If you wish to access or correct your Personal Information, please contact us in writing as outlined below in the section “Contact Us.” Additionally, you may request that we delete your Personal Information, although we may not be required to do so and may, in certain circumstances, be required to maintain your Personal Information, despite your request. If we agree or are required to delete your Personal Information, we will retain certain Personal Information in order to comply with and track compliance with your request. Additionally, any of your Personal Information stored on any backup server may remain. If such backups are utilized, we will take reasonable efforts to delete any applicable Personal Information.
To the extent certain data protection and privacy laws apply, you may have the following rights regarding your Personal Information that we process:
- the right to request access to your Personal Information;
- the right to request correction of inaccurate Personal Information concerning you;
- the right to request that we delete your Personal Information under certain circumstances;
- the right to object to processing of your Personal Information under certain circumstances;
- the right to request that we restrict processing your Personal Information under certain circumstances and to withdraw your consent where processing is based on such consent;
- the right to receive a copy of your Personal Information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format; and
- the right to transfer your Personal Information to a third party.
“Do Not Track” is a setting available in certain browsers that allows you to limit tracking by advertisers and other third parties. We do not respond to “do not track” signals.
We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. Our Site is not intended for use by persons under the age of 13 and should not be used by them. In no event should persons under the age of 13 provide any Personal Information through our Site. If we become aware that we have collected the Personal Information of a person under the age of 13, we will take the necessary steps to delete such information. More information about the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and how it protects children who use the Internet may be found at www.ftc.gov.
If you have any questions or comments or would like to submit a request concerning your Personal Information, please let us know by email or writing to us at:
Harter Secrest & Emery LLP
1600 Bausch & Lomb Place
Rochester, New York 14604
Attn: Nicole Kershaw