Enjoy a Summer With Us
The summer program is of vital importance to our overall recruitment effort. Each year, we employ students as Summer Associates in our Rochester and Buffalo, NY offices. Our program allows students a superior work experience and a realistic view of what it’s like to practice law at Harter Secrest & Emery. We want you to get to know our people and our culture so that you can determine whether we are the firm in which you envision growing your career.
- Real Work: You will be challenged from the start, working on actual projects and cases, in a variety of practice areas, as an active member on the client team. You will have real responsibility on important client matters.
- Feedback: Ongoing constructive feedback is a very important part of our summer program. You will receive direct feedback during each project, as well as formal reviews throughout the summer.
- Training and Mentoring: To help you grow professionally during your summer with us, there are several training programs. You will also receive the benefit of guidance from an associate mentor. Additionally, there are frequent formal and informal Partner lunches where Summer Associates can ask Partners about their practice and career path.
- Immersive Experience: This innovative component of our summer program allows our Summer Associates the opportunity to shadow Senior Associates and Partners in a specific practice group. You will gain valuable experience by attending depositions, client meetings, closings, court hearings, business development opportunities, and more. This exposure allows Summer Associates to see aspects of practicing law that are typically encountered only later on in an attorney’s career. Should you begin your legal career with us, this program continues into your first two years as an attorney at HSE.
- Social Responsibility: HSE is committed to the diverse communities in which we are located. The summer program provides several opportunities for you to serve the Rochester and Buffalo communities by working on projects intended to benefit minority and underserved populations, as well as pro bono matters. There is a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives within the Firm as well as community organizations we partner with. During the summer program we also plan excursions centered around various cultures in the region and the rich history of Western New York.
- Fun: We want you to have fun and get to know our attorneys and your peers outside of the office. You will be invited to attend a number of social events to experience the many attractions that Western New York has to offer.