We advise on the legal and business issues and opportunities confronting privately-held businesses, including companies owned by family members as well as those controlled by unrelated shareholders. Our clients include automobile dealers, manufacturers, wholesalers, professional services organizations, registered investment advisory groups, real estate developers, service and installation companies serving multinational corporations, private equity and angel investors, and family offices.
We work to become trusted business and legal advisors and, to ensure that our legal counsel is aligned with the goals of the individuals running these companies, we get to know them – their business ethics and style, and the way that they address opportunities and challenges. We understand their risk tolerance and businesses and personal priorities. We visit their plants and offices, we understand their businesses, and we rise and fall on their successes and setbacks. We come to know our private company clients as if they were family.
We know that business challenges can arise well before and long after regular business hours. We pride ourselves on being available to clients at any time and on short notice. We treat their businesses as if they were our own and work always to provide legal and business advice that is pragmatic, thoughtful, efficient and highly cost effective.
While we have a small law firm feel, we have the large law firm benefit of having direct access to experienced lawyers in most areas of law. If a client needs specialized services that our firm cannot provide, we will say so, and give other lawyers working for the client the benefit of our knowledge about the client’s business at no cost, and help to evaluate potential solutions.
Beyond the traditional roles that business lawyers fulfill, the lawyers in our Private Companies team are very focused on personal, corporate, family and transition planning. By carefully selecting lawyers with broad practice backgrounds, we are able to tie up loose ends for our clients. When clients wish to pursue personal and business tax planning, we are able to offer those services without engaging a table full of lawyers and other advisors.
We have particular strength advising on:
- Business formation and valuation
- Contract law
- Corporate governance
- Financing, including venture capital and private equity
- Government affairs
- Intellectual Property
- Joint venture formation
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Succession planning
- Tax and incentives
- Wealth preservation
What We See on the Horizon
Contact our Private Companies team for our latest insights about the following:
- Industry consolidation – As industries mature, economic pressures and market share competition will drive private companies to explore options for growth and survival: acquire or be acquired. Our attorneys advise clients on which avenue to pursue based on their personal and professional goals.
- Tax law changes – Changes in business and individual income tax laws and IRS enforcement can affect the bottom line of a closely held business as much as any. Our Private Companies team monitors tax law and enforcement changes closely and works with clients to optimize their tax strategies.
- Regulatory changes – Regulations at the local, state, and federal level can change quickly. We work with clients to both anticipate changes and respond with solid business and legal strategies to address them.