John retired as a partner of Harter Secrest & Emery LLP in 2016 after 38 years practicing as a jury trial lawyer in state and federal courts. His practice was concentrated in the area of civil trial litigation, including personal injury, professional products liability, negligence, construction-related matters, insurance coverage, and professional malpractice and licensing as well as frequently acting as a neutral in mediations and arbitrations. His experience includes:
- Malpractice including claims against physicians, chiropractors and acupuncturists, claims related to cosmetic laser treatments, and professional disciplinary matters before the OPMC and OPD.
- Suits involving product design and manufacture including claims related to asbestos, motor vehicle, boat, protection, electronic control systems, vehicle, hydraulic and mechanical presses, agricultural construction equipment and general consumer products, factory-built housing, and claims associated with propane and natural gas.
- Claims under safe workplace statutes and regulations (New York Labor Law 200, 240 (1) and 241 (6), Industrial Code, and OSHA).
- Arbitrations and Mediations.
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC AFFILIATIONS
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Past Chair, Harter Secrest & Emery’s Litigation Unit
- Past President, Charles Settlement House Board of Directors
- Past President, Irondequoit Rotary
- Past Board Member, Volunteers of America of Western New York
HONORS & AWARDS
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow 2004-2018
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named in Best Lawyers® as the “Best Lawyers’ 2013 Rochester, NY Product Liability Litigation – Defendants Lawyer of the Year”
- Named in Best Lawyers® as the “Best Lawyers” 2011 Rochester, NY Product Liability Litigator of the Year”
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® 2008-2015